Thundercats Sword of Omens

Props

I have always loved the Thundercats. when I was a child I owned some of the toys but I never had the sword of Omens. well as a fully grown man who can’t let things go, I decided that I must do something about this.

I found the original drawing for the sword on the internet. (just google image search for ‘sword of omens drawings’ and its the first thing that pops up)

I then blew them up on the photocopier to A3 size. then blew them up again to 210%
I wanted it this big because I searched the internet for the average long sword length and picked a size I thought would be about right. (It turned out a little too big but I won’t complain)

I then used that template to cut out some foamboard details. the horns and the centre plate as well as the skull shape ( I know its not a skull but that’s the only thing i can think of when I see it)

I stuck the horns and the centre detail to some MDF and cut around them. I used MDF simply because that’s just what I had laying around. it was leftover from my BTTF hover board which I use as a shelf in my room

 

I then cut the tops of two plastic disposable cups because I wanted there to be a ring around the eye of thundera. and the plastic cups just happened to be the exact size. 7cm or about 3 inches

I put the foam pieces together and used resin and body filler to make them hard.
I bought two toilet plungers from the pound shop (dollar store) one was wooden. which I would use for the handle and the other was plastic which had a cool pommel shape on the bottom which i would cut of and stick to the bottom of the wooden handle as my pommel.

I then bought some plastic gems from the market here in Birmingham. which looked roughly the right shape. they where blue/teal in colour and only cost £2. there where two sizes in the bag I would use the big ones for the handle and the small ones for the pomel.

I then used elastic bands to measure out where i wanted the ribbing on the handle to be so that i wouldnt have to keep erasing pencil lines.

 

I then used Milliput to put on the ribbing details as well as the pommel details. the details on the pommel where hard to discern, I looked at pictures on the internet as well as trying to see the details on YouTube clips and this is the best I could come up with.

I then made a template for the handle detail. I wrapped a paper strip around the handle and trimmed it to size. I then pulled it off and drew on my pattern.The pattern is two arches with a squared off point on top. I then used the template to cut out seven of them in thick card. Then used pva glue to stick them on. Using elastic bands to hold them in place while they dried.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

the sword blade was made from a strip of wood. I used the dremel to sand down a groove along the wood. I admit I didn’t do the best job at this.

 


I then made the collar that goes around the base of the blade and holds it to the sword hilt. but since this isn’t a real sword this would just be made from a scrap piece of wood laying around. I again used the sword template I made earlier and just drew around it twice. once I cut out the shape I sanded it down and used the dremel to sand out a ‘u’ shape in the back of it for the blade to slide into.

I then had to make the blade details that go above the collar. I made these out of styrene sheets bought from the art shop. using the template i cut out four triangles. and glued them together. I then had to file out a small triangle notch at the base to fit against the collar

I then painted primer on the whole thing and painted it Toyota lucern silver from a spray can. I painted the blade and the eye of Thundera rings using chrome spray paint I bought from a supermarket called Aldi. The can is labeled ‘DecoStyle Metal effect spray paint’ and the company is from Germany.

 

I then cut a groove into the hilt and inserted the blade. I glued it in place using a mixture of body filler and fibre glass resin that I mixed into a muddy paste so that I could pour it into the hole i had made. Then i slid the collar down the blade into position and glued that. the blade details then went on.

the eye of Thundera was made using two plastic circles which I cut out from a off-cut sheet of Fluorescent red plastic which I found on ebay. buying a whole sheet was way too expensive. but there is a company that sells they’re random sized off-cuts. I was lucky. I found a piece that would let me cut out exactly four circles. which is all i needed. the Thundercat logo was made from a thin piece of black styrene which I bought from the art shop. I pushed the ‘eye’ into the rings and they fitted perfectly so I didn’t even need to glue them in. this was my one moment of easy victory in the whole thing. it was the one piece that went right first time. I felt like a rock star.I then super glued on the gems and added a small red one to the base of the pommel. I hung it on my wall using string until I can come up with a better way to display it. I hope you like it. some parts turned out better than others but its all part of learning.

if your interested in prop making I recommend you visit http://www.therpf.com

THUNDER…THUNDER…THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s